Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Shake-up

“And instantly I was in the Spirit, and I saw a throne in heaven and someone sitting on it!” Revelation 4:2
Have you ever really been shaken up? I have frequently been shaken up with shocking news. It can send me reeling with momentary confusion, numbness and anxiety. Even this week I heard shocking news about a family member whose life was spared from a potentially serious snowmobile accident. Shake ups can occur in our churches, at work, in our families, or in our government. I have been shaken up when sin in my life was realized for what it truly was. Anyone involved in Muslim ministry or discipling can encounter some pretty big shake ups. They come in many forms and have a way of getting our attention big time. Such shake ups can become catalysts for big change.

As I was tucking our three year old son into bed he asked, “Mommy, is the government in charge of God or God in charge of the government?” In the last couple of weeks much of the world has been glued to the TV news watching the rumblings of unrest and protests in North Africa and the Middle East. A major shake-up has been occurring. I can only imagine what must be happening in the invisible heavenly realms. Surely God is on His royal throne overseeing the affairs of the world we live in. Some time ago I was listening to a magnificent rendition of the song, “The Lord’s Prayer.” Towards the end of it I was taken in spirit envisioning God’s throne in heaven. All I saw was an empty throne. I was shocked seeing a huge crowd of people with lifted hands looking towards the throne and shouting, “Hallelujah.” Who are they shouting that to? I wondered. No one was on the throne. One person came up to me and said, “He’s invisible you know. He’s there.” Of course, that’s right! I reminded myself. If the Church ever has needed prophetic voices and discerning spirits it is now. There’s a divine purpose in what is happening. Present events should be beckoning Christians to corporate prayer like never before. God is flinging open previously closed doors to bring the Good News of the Kingdom of God to Islamic nations in unprecedented measure. I’ve often thought that Satan is determined to keep the Good News out of Islamic nations because he knows that they are a people of passion and zeal and their passion might just be turned towards worshipping Jesus Christ. Satan is trembling. You have seen and felt the passionate protests on the TV screen. One day our passion for Jesus Christ displayed in western nations will look very pale in comparison to the passion former Muslims will show who discover Jesus Christ to be the way, the truth and the life. We will become envious of that passion and worship and look to them to show us what revival looks like.

Dear heavenly Father, help me to remember You are on Your throne and accomplishing Your purposes here on earth. In Jesus’ name, Amen.