Friday, March 4, 2011

Quieted

“But I have stilled and quieted myself, just as a small child is quiet with its mother….”Psalm 131:2
There’s a special place in my heart for the Libyan people. Watching the news of the revolution sweeping Libya I have experienced disquietude. I have wondered how they will find their way through this terrible crisis and survive. God loves the Libyans dearly. The vast majority have rarely had an opportunity to hear about the Kingdom of God.

Last night a Muslim background believer called me. “It seems that God doesn’t love the Palestinians,” she said. My heart ached. “Where did you pick that awful idea up from?” I asked. My husband and I had just been with a Palestinian believer recently. We heard his suffering and cries. I tried to assure my friend that, yes, God loves the Palestinians!

I have been in many prayer meetings where my Christian brothers and sisters are crying out to God to protect Israel. I have felt their pain and understood their concerns. Everything is so complex. I get disquieted. Yes, God loves the Jews!

A couple of Christian ladies came up to my table at the exhibition missions fair. They stared long at the beautiful tall banner which adorned the table depicting two Muslim hijab clad ladies on the cover of my book, “Woman to Woman, Sharing Jesus with a Muslim Friend.” As they stared dubiously at the banner I asked, “Are you drawn to those ladies?” “No, not particularly,” they replied matter of factly and off they went. Oh please, don’t write them off, I cried silently. I got disquieted.

There is a current movement, potentially divisive, in missions among Muslims about contextualization methods. I get disquieted when I see how it affects the Kingdom work and workers.

Ministering among Muslims can be challenging. There are battles and distractions on all sides. It’s tough because many Muslims are resistant to the Good News. They aren’t able to understand the grace of Isa al Masih. It’s also tough because some of my Christian brothers and sisters are fighting a battle within their souls which affects me. Some find it hard to accept the immeasurable grace of our Lord Jesus towards all people. There’s a little bit of Jonah in all of us; me included. And it can be tough because it is difficult for some of my Christian brothers and sisters to understand how I can love many Arabs, Iraqis, Afghans, Somalis, and Iranians. I can’t run away from God’s calling – so what should I do with matters that disquiet and distract me? I know I’m not at optimum usefulness in ministry if I “concern myself with matters too great” which I can not do much about. There are some moments when I need my heavenly Parent to quiet me. And He does. “Yes, like a small child is my soul within me.” (Psalm 131:2b)

Dear heavenly Father, please quiet and still me when turmoil arises. Keep me from being distracted. In Jesus’ name, Amen.