Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Visiting

My heart has heard you say, “Come and talk with Me.” And my heart responds, “Lord, I am coming.” Ps. 27: 8

"What do you do?" some Christian women ask me. "I visit my Muslim friends in their homes or they visit me in my home," I answer. A look of bewilderment comes over my Christian friends' faces. My answer sounds strange to them. Most Muslim women love having visitors so I ask them if I may visit them. That might be offensive in our culture but in their culture they feel honored. You do not believe that? Well, try it. You will be surprised! Don't be shy to ask.  Rarely would I  ask my own people if I can come over and visit them unless we are very close friends or relatives. Home is the comfort zone for Muslim women. So much happens in either their homes or mine when we visit: drink tea or eat wonderful food, share the stories of our lives with each other, pray for them, read the Word or tell Bible stories, answer their questions, hold babies or play with small children. Perhaps there will be opportunities to play the piano and sing, show our photos, bake cookies or make a craft. The visits feel alive and fruitful and a two way thing. We laugh, cry, hug, and listen. We are on equal footing. There is no hierarchy here. We become friends. I love visiting my Muslim friends.

For those of you who are involved with Muslim women you probably share the same excitement. You know what I am talking about. There is something very special about being in a home. It is a wonderful high calling to teach Muslim women in a classroom or serve them in an office or hospital but, I think, even more special to be in each other’s homes. The freedom and openings to share become enlarged and much more personal. We really get to know each other. Sometimes schools and offices actually restrict that freedom. There is always that "hierarchy thing" in a professional setting to contend with.

It is amazing to think that God would extend the invitation, “Come and talk with Me.” He wants a home visit in the soul – just Him and me. Wow! I always want a visit from Him, but now He actually wants me to come and visit Him. When I sense His eagerness to have a visit, I quickly respond, “Lord, I’m coming.” I love my visits with God. Our visits flow spontaneously. By the end of our visits I’m deeply touched or encouraged. We have a God who loves visiting us in the home of our hearts. He usually takes the initiative. I just respond and enjoy our conversation. Even though He is the King of heaven and earth we have become friends. I am learning how to visit Muslim women from Him. He is my Teacher in this area. We should never underestimate the power of home visitation with our Muslim friends. If you have not yet started visiting in each other's homes, I would encourage you to call a friend and ask if you can come visit her. You might find that she is longing for such a visit. Put aside your fears of not knowing what to talk about. Just love her.

Dear heavenly Father, I love my refreshing visits with You. You are like sunshine in my soul. Help my visits with Muslim women to bring sunshine to them. Amen.