Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Morning Star

“…I am both the source of David and the heir to his throne. I am the bright morning star.” Revelation 22:16

All of us in Muslim ministry want to maximize opportunities to share Biblical truths during the Christmas season. Many creative ideas can emerge from the Christmas story. I have a friend who is gifted in making origami art. She sent me some beautiful handmade origami stars in the post. I knew my Muslim friends would be intrigued by them and would love to receive one. At Christmas we see star ornaments and sing about the star guiding the astrologers.

Farzana, who is a believer from Muslim background, invited me to her home for supper and I gave her one of those origami stars. I was taken back by her response and fascination with it. Carefully her daughter placed the origami star on their Christmas tree. There were other star ornaments bought from stores hanging on the branches plus a big one perched at the top. I asked Farzana if she likes stars. Her face lit up and said, “I love them! Every night when I go to bed I can see a star from my window and I look at it and talk to it.” “You talk to it?” I asked. Made me think of the children’s song, “Twinkle, twinkle little star, how I wonder what you are…..” We discussed looking at stars and how fog or cloudy weather or pollution can hide the stars. Anyhow, I had her read Revelation 22:16 in her language. She was filled with delight and awe that Jesus would be called the bright morning star. “That’s beautiful, Joy!” she exclaimed. For the next hour we talked about Jesus the bright morning star living within us and shining out of us(II Peter 1:19, Philippians 2:14-15))and how our witness or sinful polluted ways can cloud the bright morning star from shining clearly out of us. She was amazed at Daniel 12:3 saying we could be like stars that shine forever. “Forever?” she asked incredulously. That amazed her. Obviously the subject of stars was close to her heart. Maybe it was because she grew up in a country where she would sometimes sleep or visit friends on the top of her flat roof from where she could look up at the sky and fix her gaze on the twinkling stars. That nostalgic picture is embedded in her memories.

We have Hollywood and Bollywood stars, author stars, grandchildren stars, pastor stars, and maybe even Muslim Background Believer stars, but the greatest star of all is Jesus Himself who will shine forever, and always has. He is the bright morning star. He shines brightest when it is darkest. I love seeing Him shine when I walk into some spiritually dark homes filled with lies, deception, superstitions, hopelessness, suppression, oppression, self righteousness, and sorrows. He has a mysterious way of lighting up a room by His invisible presence. And how wonderful to think that I carry this bright morning Star within me at all times. Shine Jesus, shine.

Dear heavenly Father, there is no darkness in You at all, only light. I am drawn to Your glory. In Jesus’ name, Amen.