Thursday, April 12, 2012

Changed

“There was a time when some of you were just like that, but now your sins have been washed away, and you have been set apart for God…” I Corinthians 6: 11a

When I shared with Tahira how God has changed me she exclaimed longingly, “I wish God would change me.”  Muslims are mystified with true stories about God changing people. Probably nothing grabbed Tahira's interest as much as the thought that God could actually change her. That seemed too good to be true. She asked, "Do I just say Jesus, please change me?" "Yes, Tahira. Just ask Him." "Okay, I will," she responded with childlike faith. Evangelism isn’t just about sharing a new set of theological beliefs and information although that's certainly a part.  It’s about seeing our Muslim friends come to know and encounter our Triune God which results in being changed inwardly. Praise God, I know some of them.  However, there are some Muslims who claim they have become Christians and might even have gotten baptized but you can tell they have not really understood the message of salvation because there has been no evident change in their hearts or lifestyles. Something is missing - like understanding Genesis 2 and 3.
  
 That observation made me reflect on whether change and transformation has really happened in my own life. And it has! Through the power of Jesus Christ, my Savior, victories have been won in my soul.  I’ve grown more in the grace and patience of Jesus. Other days I’m not so sure about that. Personal shame and voices of condemnation have been lifted away, inner healing of emotional injuries have left only scars, and a sensitivity and conviction of my deceitful sinfulness have found me quickly begging for cleansing. My Savior has progressively tamed my strong will and made me more submissive. I’ve gone from being bankrupt of mercy and love to being surprised to feel an inner river flowing of the mercy and love of Jesus.  Timidity is more and more being replaced with courage. I remember the years I experienced fear of Muslims  but God has now given me a compassion and love for them. So many changes! I wouldn't be able to tell Tahira that God really can change people if I hadn't experienced it first hand.

How have you been changed? Have you ever tried sharing your story of change and transformation with your Muslim friend? How did she respond? Try it. You’ll find she’ll be quite interested.

Dear heavenly Father, it’s amazing how You keep changing me. Help me to communicate this awesome truth clearly to my Muslim friends. In Jesus’ name, Amen.