Friday, November 11, 2016

Fully Alive!

"May you experience the love of Christ, though it is so great you will never fully understand it.Then you will be filled with the fullness of life and power that comes from God.”  Ephesians 3:19

“Amina, what’s been happening in your life these days?” I asked. “Nothing,” she replied. As I inquired about different activites she kept answering, “No, that doesn’t interest me. I guess I’m lazy.” Wow! It sounded like she had no life. She appears to have little interest in loving anyone or anything because there is no purpose in life. Nothing to talk about. Her soul is empty and bored. My heart aches for Amina. I know what she needs. She needs to come alive but how can that happen? I can’t impart life to her. I wish I could but it is not within my power to give life.

When we put our faith in Jesus as Savior He brings Life to our dead soul. He comes to live inside us. I clearly remember the day when that happened to me. I was ten years old. Suddenly the colors of everything looked much brighter and I felt like a free butterfly. A new dimension of life arrived! Twelve year old Hanin overheard me asking her mom if she knew where my real home is. She piped up, “The graveyard?”  I laughed and said, “No, Hanin, the grave is definitely not my real home.” My body will die but my soul never. Soul life is indeed a treasure above all treasures.

As I pray for my Muslim friends one request is uttered frequently.“Spirit of God, breathe Your breath of Life into their souls.” I reflect often on Ezekiel 37 which refers to the nation of Israel but I am certain we can all say that we need the breath of God to breathe on us, too.  Ezekiel partnered with God. He was actually told to speak to the dead bones and then God breathed into them. Quite the mission strategy! Why didn’t God’s Spirit just do it all by Himself? If Ezekiel was commanded and called to partner with God to see life come into dead bones perhaps He is asking me to partner with Him, too. So, my prayer is, ”Lord, breathe Your life into Amina’s soul.” Life will probably appear in stages just like it did in Ezekiel 37.  I watch and wait for vital signs of life in Amina’s soul: rattling questions and doubts, hunger pangs for God, a desire and curiosity to read the Word, conviction and sorrow for sin, repentance, and a growing ability to express love to others in tangible ways. Yes, there are stages of coming into the fullness of life. It is exciting to see all the signs and stages of life taking place little by little. You know when someone is fully alive in the soul when they experience the love of Jesus and can express it to others. Lord, send me forth fully alive in the love of Jesus.


Dear heavenly Father, breathe on me.  I just want to be fully alive! Breathe Your life into my ministry, too. And breathe Your breath of Life into my Muslim friends’ souls.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.