Thursday, September 1, 2016

Safe and Secure

"….No one can snatch them away from me, for my Father has given them to me and he is more powerful than anyone else.  No one can snatch them from the Father’s hand.”  John 10: 28b-29

My heart was pounding hard as I awoke from the dream. I was carrying a little baby snuggled in a warm blanket close to myself when suddenly the baby was snatched from my arms. I was left holding the blanket but the baby was gone. I stood there in shock. Who grabbed the baby? Where was she? She would be cold having no blanket. I knew immediately what the dream meant.  There would be a snatching away of some spiritual babies I was carrying.

Khadra(not real name)came into my life not knowing anything about Christianity. Her spiritual hunger surprised me.  I began going through the Toddlers Bible story book with her since her English was minimal and I could not speak her language. Then we graduated to the Young Reader’s Bible story book. Every week we would read and pray together. It became evident that her heart was moving closer and closer to understanding and accepting  Jesus as her Savior and finally she gave her allegiance to Christ, even though her husband did not join her in that step.  She really was just a baby in Christ when suddenly her husband decided to move to another province. It felt like she was cruelly snatched from my arms. Oh, how I cried! No, this couldn’t be, I told God. Help, Lord! She is just a baby and I don’t know who can follow her up there. It has been three years now since she moved away. When I visited her recently I discovered her faith to be firm and her husband moving towards Christ. Satan tries to snatch spiritual babies away from the embrace of spiritual mothers but they are still in God’s hands. He will find a way to carry on the nurturing of these spiritual babies.

Saima(not real name)had just come to Christ. It was pure joy to teach this new baby deep truths. She was scholarly and digested large amounts of truth. But she needed lots of tender loving care. Suddenly one day she announced that she had to move to another place far away. Oh no, Lord. She doesn’t have any friends there and no church. How will she survive? It seemed like a disaster in waiting. I had no choice but to let her go. It felt like Saima was snatched from my hands.  It took weeks for me to recover from the sadness, shock, and worry how she would fare. It has been five years now since she left. Saima has found many strong Christian friends, is leading Bible studies now, and is part of a thriving church.

Both Khadra and Saima were very vulnerable new believers. In both cases I was not able to arrange for some one to follow them up. I had to surrender my fears and anxiousness to God. It was amazing how God put the right people in their paths. It is really true that no one can snatch them from the Father’s hand.  They belong to Him.
 
Dear heavenly Father, thank you, thank you – that people like Khadra and Saima are safe and secure in Your hands!  In Jesus’ name, Amen.