Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Lullabies

"For the Lord your God has arrived to live among you.  He is a mighty savior.  He will rejoice over you with great gladness.  With his love, he will calm all your fears.  He will exult over you by singing a happy song.”  Zephaniah 3:17

I passed by a CD rack in the store when my eyes suddenly caught the CD cover of a little baby peacefully asleep. I stared at it wistfully tracing my finger slowly over the picture. What a beautiful baby. The title of the CD is called Sacred Lullabies. That’s strange, I thought, as I looked over the songs listed. They were mostly hymns. Finally, I couldn’t resist any longer and bought it. When I got home I put it on and promptly was reduced to tears.  The music was so gentle and soothing and spoke to me deeply of the love of Jesus. The little girl inside me rose up. Thankfully I was alone at home or my teary state would have caused me embarrassment. Soon I was pouring out my heart to Jesus for the Muslim women and children I am investing in. How I long for them to know the love of Jesus.  Too many of them have been hurt and damaged by religion and politics.  How can I convince them that God really truly loves them?

God’s heart must ache for children growing up in dangerous places like Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq, and Somalia. Instead of safety and security they hear constant talk of enmity and lurking danger. They get lost in a wilderness of fear and uncertainty. Thousands have to find new homes – or somewhere to lie down at least. Many of them lose a dad or uncle from fighting or kidnapping.  It’s just not fair. My heart aches for them. Poor little children. They didn’t do anything to deserve wandering around trying to find a safe refuge.  Today I wished I could hold each hurting child and sing lullabies over them.  If I was talented in singing I’d make a recording of sacred lullabies for these children in their language and relevant for their context. But I can’t. So, I guess, God’s Spirit will have to sing lullabies of love and peace over them. I’m sure He must. It comes natural to Him. Nevertheless I attempt to sing lullabies to frazzled friends. Last week I softly sang, Jesus is the Shepherd, guess who I am? Shhh….it’s such a lovely secret. I’m his little lamb. Fatima loved it. When she was over to my house recently she asked me to write the words down. She wanted to learn it.

Dear heavenly Father, don’t forget to sing sacred lullabies to my women friends.  Some are not coping very well and traumatized while others are resilient and trying to cope with uprooting to another land and culture. Their minds are overloaded with bad memories which just won’t go away. Remember my friend, Amal, who recently whispered to me, I want to see Jesus. I hope he will come to me – soon. Sing to her, Lord. Melt her heart and let tears of relief and release flow. Bring healing, peace, security, and a strong sense that home is most of all belonging to You with the pure joy of being Your beloved child. In Jesus’ name, Amen.