Friday, August 29, 2014

Focus

“Be silent, and know that I am God!  I will be honored by every nation.  I will be honored throughout the world.”  Psalm 46:10


When I checked my email box today there were numerous reports from Christian organizations about the threat of radical Islam. It was so depressing.  It seems like every time I turn on the TV there are horrible newscasts about radical Islam breaking out causing terror and destruction in many parts of the world. I don’t know about you but I am very sensitive to graphic pictures and reports about executions or threats; especially so because of what I went through as a child growing up in Somalia.  I want to watch the global news but I don’t want to hear all about that terrifying stuff.  It can cause instant alarm in me. I think about the future for my children and grandchildren so I start praying fervently that they will be spared from anything coming close.  It is amazing how we can sit in our living room and look out the window and everything looks so calm.  Canadian geese wander slowly across the street. The birds flock to the bird feeder. The flowers are blooming beautifully and the tomatoes are ripening. Today there is a gentle rain pattering against the window panes, making everything fresh.  What I see on the news is happening far away and I want it to remain that way. I want to yell “Radical Islam stay far away! Don’t invade my peaceful world!”  For sure I feel sorry for people who are in the midst of terrible uprooting or destruction. My heart aches for them. I feel so helpless. What can I do to relieve their suffering? I pray for them. In some cases I try to assist in sending money to a Christian organization to provide humanitarian aid.  Recently a Christian lady from the Middle East was visiting in our home and when the conversation turned to the awful things happening she got up and walked away from the rest of us.  She just couldn't handle the suffering emotionally or physically. Poor thing! We can become sick or disturbed mentally focusing on evil.

Perhaps you can identify with my feelings. I suspect there are many Christian women out there feeling just like me; angry, scared, apprehensive, and helpless. We can either go into denial and take measures to never listen to the news or talk about suffering or get really angry about it and accomplish nothing or we can spiritually engage with Muslims God puts in our paths and discover what He can do – in them and in us. But I think the very best secret to surviving  all this bad news and remaining spiritually engaged with Muslims is to turn our eyes upon Jesus. It really helps. Remember the song, Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus? (click) Why not take a minute and listen.
 
What are you focusing on? Who are you focusing on?


Dear heavenly Father, help me to see Your wonderful face in the midst of all the horrible events going on.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.