Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Birthday Gift for Jamila

I wondered what I should buy for a birthday gift for Jamila. I’m sure you’ve found yourself in the same position figuring out what gift to buy for your Muslim friend. I’ve been ministering for thirty plus years and I still keep trying to figure that one out! Anyhow, I decided to bake a pound type of cake made in a Bundt pan. I would give Jamila the cake and a Bundt pan, along with the recipe. I was surprised at the response. She had been wanting a Bundt cake pan. It was quite a novelty for her to see the fancy design on the cake. I have made this cake, called for some strange reason ‘Rotation Cake’, for years and without fail it has been a big hit across the cultures. Probably because it is plain and with no icing, which they don’t seem to particularly enjoy. Another similar Bundt cake that goes over well(without fail)is called ‘Chocolate Chip Cake’. Here are both recipes:

Rotation Cake Recipe

Beat together until fluffy and light:
1 cup of softened butter
2 cups of white sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Add and beat until mixed well:
3 cups of flour
½ teaspoon of salt
3 teaspoons of baking powder
1 cup of milk

Pour into a greased Bundt cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.


Chocolate Chip Cake Recipe

Beat together, approximately 2 minutes:
1 pkg.(18 ¼ oz.) yellow cake mix
1 pkg.(3 ½ oz.) instant vanilla pudding mix
1 cup of sour cream
½ cup each of vegetable oil and water
4 eggs

Stir in 1 cup of mini chocolate chips. Pour into a greased Bundt cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 1 hour.