Friday, June 18, 2010

Led by the Spirit

“As for Philip, an angel of the Lord said to him, “Go south, down the desert road…so he did, and he met the treasurer of Ethiopia….The Holy Spirit said to Philip, “Go over and walk along beside the carriage.” Philip ran over and heard the man reading….” Acts 8: parts of 26-27, 29-30

There was a gnawing feeling of something missing deep within Laura’s soul. She was and continues to be active in the altar prayer ministry in her church, yet she searched to understand what was missing. The Holy Spirit brought the words Muslim and Islam to her mind. This came as a surprise and shock to her as she had no contact with Muslims nor even any desire to be involved with them; especially after 9/11. Laura was nudged further towards searching on the internet for books about Muslims who have encountered Jesus and later watched a Christian TV program of a woman reaching out to Muslim women. She knew the Lord was directing her step by step to get involved. At first she was filled with uncertainty of how to begin. But she made herself available to God and acted upon His directives. Laura explains her very first contact with Muslim women:

“I was in a Middle Eastern grocery store and noticed a Muslim mom with two daughters enter. The youngest girl made eye contact and said, “hi”. I was shocked because that was the first time this had ever happened to me. I asked God, ‘what do I do now?’ I felt the Spirit tell me to introduce myself and all will be okay. So, I did. He gave me the boldness to take the initiative. I discovered they had recently arrived and didn’t have a phone yet but I gave them my phone number and offered any help they might need. It was a pleasant first introduction!”

I was so proud of Laura. She listened to the Spirit’s voice and acted upon His directives. She stepped out of her comfort zone and did something brand new. She discovered boldness from the Spirit and actually enjoyed the delightful encounter. She has the making of an evangelist, just like Philip, who obeyed the Spirit’s leading. Laura wants to give this message to other Christian women:

“If you have a tugging in your heart to reach out, do so. Follow where the Holy Spirit leads you and He will direct your path and lead you where He wants you to be. I pray that many more women will step out in faith and reach out to these lovely women like I am doing – so step out with me and see where the Lord takes you. I am glad that I did. My journey has just begun and now I can say my prayers are full of life because they are about life.”

Dear heavenly Father, You are hand-picking Christian women to become evangelists to Muslim women. It is amazing to see how You lead them. Use them powerfully. Give them more and more courage and joy. In Jesus’ name, Amen.