Saturday, January 30, 2016

My Anchor

“This confidence is like a strong and trustworthy anchor for our souls…..” Hebrews 6:19a

 Have you ever felt like what(or whom) you were holding on to suddenly let go and you went floundering away into an unknown ocean? I have felt that way a number of times in the past 37 years of ministry among Muslims. The plan was to be in Pakistan for decades but the Lord clearly moved us onward even though we did not know the way. In one mission organization we adjusted to five leaders plus some interim ones in fifteen years. We wondered how we would survive a mission merger. Momentarily we felt like we lost our moorings. Help, Lord! One church fell apart and folded up. When our financial base was suddenly wiped out overnight we felt an earthly anchor disappear. When mom and dad died I felt lost. Their daily prayers for me meant so much. I counted on them. They understood the spiritual battle I am engaged in.

Each of these times have sent me in desperation to God to find my only real, unmovable, and unchangeable anchor. And when I find Him, as I eventually do, I hold on to Him for dear life. When we toured Peggy’s Cove in Nova Scotia I was heartened to see a large anchor. It spoke symbolically to me in the depths of my heart. There is no real anchor to hold on to in ministry to Muslims apart from the Lord Jesus. I find that I not only hold on to Him but He holds on to me. I am reminded of this eternal truth repeatedly. Our true solid anchor can not be Christian friends, churches, pastors, leaders, praying parents, mission organizations, or financial base – in spite of them all being very good and meeting a need. Perhaps you have been waiting to get involved with Muslims until that sure anchor is in place: a supportive church, praying friends, validation, etc. I would encourage you to keep praying for those things to fall in place but remember that whether they remain, are suddenly removed, or even deprived of them, your strong anchor in Jesus will always be there for you through thick or thin. You will make it with Him holding on to you!

Most of my believer friends who have left the folds of Islam and its community have experienced the anchors which they were holding on to suddenly give way. Scary stuff!  It does not come instantly for them to discover that Christ is their only real solid anchor in this world of change, rejections, upheavals, identity crisis, and finding their way into a new community. Sometimes it takes years to understand, accept, and trust in their new Anchor. I endeavor to walk beside my believer friends, not as their anchor but to point them to their new eternal and steadfast Anchor of our souls.

Dear heavenly Father, You have sorely tested me but you have never failed or disappointed me. You truly are my anchor. Thank you! In Jesus’ name, Amen.