Thursday, November 25, 2010

I See Muslims - Now What??

“God did not send His Son into the world to condemn it, but to save it." John 3:17

“Joy, when I’m in the mall I see Muslim ladies in head scarves and sometimes even with their faces covered in black. One time my little girl was so scared of them and begged me to call the police. What should I do when I see Muslim women like that?” Nancy asked me very concerned. “Well, I go up to them and say hi. I welcome them to our country. I speak to her beautiful children. When I say goodbye I give them a loving pat on their arm,” I replied. “You TOUCH them?!” she asked incredulously.

The next time I met Nancy she begged me to give her some training. Halfway through I realized she didn’t want training but was mostly concerned about her four daughters and her future grandchildren how they could be protected from, what she considered, an encroachment of Muslims on ‘her’ home turf. Nancy is on a journey. Usually the journey begins with our eyes. We see a woman wearing a hijab or a niqab. Mixed feelings can arise in us, as with Nancy. Then our ears hear about Muslims on the news. Ouch… We feel a need to know more. We begin to read books and check websites. Our minds absorb information. If we read the right things something will begin to stir in our hearts. Oh-oh, a divine compassion unknown to us before begins to be birthed in our hearts for the Muslim woman. We begin to yearn to meet one. We find our feet taking unusual initiative to seek and find one. This is so counter cultural for us we wonder if we are crazy! By divine appointment we are put on the path of some Muslim woman. Our hearts are singing. We are excited and a little apprehensive at first. But it doesn’t take long until our hands long to demonstrate practical help and compassion. We bake cookies together or teach her how to drive. Maybe help her with conversational English or invite her over for a meal. We discover Fatima is really human and a lot of fun to be around. The journey’s not done though. We have reached out in showing practical love and now we want to proclaim with our mouths what is in our hearts. She won’t know about our wonderful Savior, Jesus Christ, unless we open our mouths and speak. We don’t need to be afraid. The Holy Spirit has been preparing us(and her) all along for such an opportunity.

What an exhilarating journey to go on. It’s well worth it, my sisters. It’s possible the whole journey will lead us into a precious long term friendship with a Muslim woman. Maybe one day she’ll even become our sister in Christ! She will be on a journey, too. Eyes, ears, mind, heart, feet, hands, and mouth – our whole being has now experienced a mysterious alteration. We are changed. Now let’s gently lead her to the heart of God who loves her dearly.

Dear heavenly Father, I’m willing and psyched to go on this journey as long as you design it and are in it with me. In Jesus’ name. Amen.